Restore Inner West Line Community Action Group
Campaign to Restore Train Services Celebrates 8th Birthday
20 October 2021
For the first time in 8 years, the long-suffering commuters in the West of Bankstown area can celebrate a major milestone in the community campaign to restore train services removed by the NSW Government in 2013.
The Transport for NSW announcement of the restoration of the former Inner West Line’s “City to Liverpool via Regents Park” service in 2024 is a testament to the strength of our community to continue fighting back against discriminatory NSW Government planning.
As we await the return of direct trains to City via Lidcombe for Berala, Regents Park, Sefton, Chester Hill, Leightonfield, Villawood and Carramar commuters; we would like to thank our the thousands of community members, kindred transport advocates and volunteers, as well as our local MPs, Councils and local media for standing with us to overturn secret plan NSW Government to close our railway stations and replace our trains with buses.
Despite NSW Government attempts including legal threats to halt our public transport campaign, the Restore Inner West Line community action group has succeeded in giving evidence in NSW Parliament about the collusion of transport and planning decisions which have adversely impacted the West of Bankstown area.
Our current West of Bankstown area campaign objectives include:
- Fast Tracking former Inner West Line restoration: City to Liverpool via Regents Park
- Direct Sydney Trains from Bankstown to City Circle
- Direct Sydney Trains from Bankstown to Liverpool, Lidcombe, and Parramatta
- Keeping All Stations in the West of Bankstown Open including Birrong and Yagoona
- Signalling Upgrade for T2 Inner West/Leppington Line and T3 Bankstown Line
Other campaigns include:
- Restoration of regular Olympic Park to Central trains and implementation of Pippita CityExpress
- Improving transport connections in Western Sydney between Cumberland LGA and Campbelltown LGA
- Direct trains from Liverpool to Campbelltown and reduction of forced Glenfield interchanges
- Extension of South West Rail Link from Leppington to Bradfield (Western Sydney Airport)
Quotes by Roydon Ng (Founder, Restore Inner West Line Community Action Group):
“Thank you to everyone for the continued support in helping to restore our trains and perseverance to hold the government to account”
“Disadvantaged Western and Southwestern Sydney residents will continue to fight back against the targetted cuts to our services until they are actually restored”
“From teenagers starting a petition in a culturally diverse community to testifying in Parliament and forcing a reversal in government policy, Restore Inner West Line is truly a grassroots campaign”